14 October 2011

Run Training Essential Equipment

For our team, running is for Cardio and base conditioning.  I will have more about XC ski specific essentials later.

Running generally has a low cost of entry compared to other sports. A pair of trainers is all your really needed to start. BUT, things can change fast after only a few training days when you realize your equipment isn't up to the task. Here is a list of what I consider to be essentials for outdoor fall/winter training.
(NOTE: For really bad weather, go ahead and use the treadmill at the gym or be flexible with your plan and take an early rest day. I wont run in lightning and neither should you, but do make it up later in the day or swap a rest day)

Sneakers
  • A good fitted pair of runners sneakers from a good runners supply store will help prevent injury. The sales clerk will help identify if your feet are high/low arched, pronate or supernate and if your gait needs extra shock protection in the heel. Bring your last pair of running sneakers in so they can see the wear pattern. Last years models are usually discounted and you should walk out spending $70 - $110.
Safety
  • Headlamps, reflective vests, and water carriers are all items that allow you to train longer outside during dusk or dark as we approach winter. You can run with a penlight and just a vest as long as you remember to stay on the Left side of the street facing oncoming traffic. Never assume the car will move out of your way and be prepared to jump if cars approach from both directions at once. You can hear traffic over your ipod right? A vest shouldn't cost more than $15 but nice models are out there for road flaggers that offer more reflection. Water carriers allow you to bring a drink with you to avoid dehydration. You can carry in hand or use a belt type but single bottle holders should be less than $40. 
Watch/Map
  • How far and how fast are important. I prefer the Timex Ironman series with chrono and interval timers. I like the interval timers so I can make it beep during my run to do either walk breaks on long runs or fartlek (seed play) time for a minute without interrupting my run or relying on my foggy morning memory. The watch beeps and I know I have to speed up or slow down every 4 or 5 minutes. The chrono tells me if my run was faster or slower then the last time I ran the same route. $45-$65
  • Where to run? www.mapmyrun.com allows a free street mapping program, click on a start location, follow the roads, then stop at your destination. It provided elevation and distance details. You can also find other runs in your area that others have used and saved. If you need to find a road loop and don't know the distance, hop in your car and drive it out. Don't be too concerned about matching a plan, you can always add a quarter mile just going out and back to make up some distance. FREE
Comfort
  • Good socks reduce blisters. Coolmax is a great material and just about every sneaker manufacture makes them. ~$6 - $12 two/three pair 
  • BodyGlide - reduces or eliminates chafing spots on the legs, feet, crotch, arms. $6 Most cyclists know about Chamois BUTT'r for abrasion reduction but I don't have personal experience with this brand.
  • High-tech shirt/shorts/compression shorts wick water away and don't hold water weight (stay away from any cotton products in the winter). Less weight + water wicking = less blisters or chafing
  • Fleece hat and gloves make those cold mornings a lot more tolerable. 
  • Duct Tape over the toes of sneakers can eliminate winter drafts. I use an older pair with tape when running in the cold rain, high winds, or packed snow.
Log Book
  • Nothing fancy, just a date/distance/time and maybe calories used and short journal of how you feel or went.  There are many online resources for Online Training Logs or online tools to record a workout or just us a simple note book (my favorite). By keeping a record of each day you can see your progress and keep up the motivation and consistency. I'd like to find an online plan for the team so we can all use together and maybe do a little competition. I'd take any suggestions if you find one.
Today is a rest day for me. I have a duathlon relay race (run-bike-run) this weekend in Scituate,wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment