04 November 2011

First Tracks and Balance

Dry land training, while great for strength and endurance does not make a proficient skier. Balance and core control are vital to skiing well.

Snow conditions were lousy this week with frozen crust on top of rotten melt underneath for my first tracks of the season. I finally managed to get on my skis and skate around my yard before it all melted. I realized quickly how much balance did for my ability to even make small strides. By the end of my 30 minute session, I was skating again and doing well enough to not totally embarrass myself at the Weston Ski track next month. I fell a number of times before I could get my legs back under me and start using my body correctly and I'm glad it was dark during my outing or I may have had my kids laughing at me as well.

So what balance exercises will we need to focus on and which leg muscles are involved? This article from NENSA is a great example of some exercises to incorporate in your strength workout called Dryland Skate Progressions to gain the balance you will need for specific skate skiing.  Please pay attention to foot position and direction and your weight distribution. Don't land on your heels. Push and land evenly on your foot or you will be down hard once you get on skis. Ski boots will give some rigidity that you will find essential later.

It's also time to start thinking about getting your own balance board. I use mine during tv commercials for a quick 3 - 5 minute sessions every other day. There are many different styles to choose from round boards to full roller planks that can seriously challenge you.

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment